Friday, November 28, 2014
Day-after-Thanksgiving project: Re-stringing the Macomber
You can see some in the picture where I have tied in an extension with some waxed linen that was the wrong weight.
how Eddie of Macomber Looms re-strings a plain warp beam, I decided I ought to rig up some way to measure the strings as I was putting them on, to get them all approximately the same length. This is the jig I came up with. I used the board that I have been using a raddle with my other loom, duct-taped (aka duck tape) to the floor at an angle. I placed it so that the old strings went around each nail. Here I've started to take the old strings off.
Then I repeated the whole process with the bottom beam.
I also replaced the little ties that hold the front tie-on rod to the cloth beam apron (first photo above).