Friday, November 27, 2015

A Retro Repro Project

Well, the Very Large Project has materialized (sorry for the pun).  I am producing some window casement fabric (drapery material) for a house with a lot of glass.  The original fabric the customer wants to replace is circa 1960s.  I analyzed the original fabric and of several samples I made, this one was chosen.













Here's a backlit view of one of the samples.  This is the way it hangs, with the stripes running horizontally.  It's kind of an interesting weave, with  long warp floats in stripes.  The fabric is held together behind the floats by a thinner warp.  The horizontal color stripes are tied down sometimes by the thick warp and sometimes by the thin warp, adding extra variation in the patterning.

2 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog recently because I came across it when I was following a web trail about Sprang weaving.
    Anyway, I am not a weaver, but I think this idea of recreating an original fabric is fascinating. I know a lot about recreating historical gowns, but this is a fabulous concept.
    Thanks for sharing your projects!
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. It is being quite the adventure. I have never done anything on this scale before, and there is a whole different set of things to consider.

      Delete