Friday, May 2, 2014

May TotM - Turned Atwater-Bronson Lace


The May Towel of the Month features a lace weave.  It has warp floats in a contrasting warp, and corresponding contrasting floats in the weft direction, forming a windowpane-check-like design overall on the towel.

The lace is "turned", then, because some of the floats are weft floats (in the "default" or "normal" lace manner), and the other floats are "turned" - in the warp direction.

The draft in the Weaver's Journal article looks to me to have a couple errors in it.  I hope I've corrected them in the diagram here.  I tried it out in the weaving software I have and it looks right.  We'll see when we start the weaving on this one!

Since I haven't seen anyone new joining in here weaving along, I'm changing my plans and weaving only two of each towel, one to give to a family member and one to keep.  Otherwise I'll end up with 24 kitchen towels, which would probably last the rest of my life.  I still hope you will join in the fun and try some of these towels, and try weaving them in linen especially.  I am having fun weaving with linen, and the fiber is so thirsty it dries off dishes without spots or lint and is quick to dry hands as well.

4 comments:

  1. What do the pink sections in the draft mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were colored cotton threads; the others were natural color linen.

      Delete
  2. I am trying to weave a small exploration for a stole in linen yarns. Could you also tell me what reed you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe all these towels were set 2 per dent in a #15 reed.

      Delete