Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stash reduction garment

The blue mixed warp fabric I was weaving "just to weave" has become something to wear after all.  This was my first experimentation with making a pattern using a draping method.  It's a simple and non-fitted style, so it wasn't that complicated; a good intro for me.

My concept was to use the fabric left from cutting the asymmetrical hemline to make the triangular gussets on the sides.  Those triangles turned out to be too wide, so there was still a strip of fabric left over there.  I also cut armholes and facings, so while I used up some tubes and balls of yarn, I still have a pile of scraps in my stash.  Oh, well.

Those horizontal lines in the front piece aren't flaws or weaving errors; I just couldn't let well enough alone and had to introduce some random weft variations to relieve the monotony of weaving plain weave with a single yarn.

The hand of the fabric is a little heavier than I would have liked, but it's wearable, I had fun and I'm happy with the pattern I created.


2 comments:

  1. Really goodlooking fabric. Sometimes the random warps are the best. Nice blouse, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alice! Pretty sure you are the Alice whose blog I link to over there on the right ->
      I don't think we've met, but I am a long-time admirer of your weaving and your writing. Off now to see what you've been weaving...

      Delete