Monday, May 22, 2017

Dye Day Blah Results - and a Pleasant Surprise

It was a beautiful day to spend at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens for the annual Fiber Arts Day. I was one of the dyers again (our fourth year now!). We had our usual beautiful setting under a nice shade tree beside the herb garden. I had fun sharing about dyeing and the fiber arts with the hundreds of visitors coming through the Gardens.

My dye results were less than successful, the beauty of the day notwithstanding. Out of my four dyepots I'd planned, only one - the madder - turned out as I'd hoped. One didn't even make it as far as getting the yarn in.  The other three are pictured here. From left to right, olive leaves (alum mordant), olive leaves (copper mordant), madder (alum), madder (copper), avocado pits (alum), avocado pits (copper).

After a long day with less-than-desireable results, it was a super pleasant surprise to come home to a package on my doorstep from Colorado.  Schacht Spindle Company gifted me a beautiful shuttle, complete with a note from Barry Schacht. It made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment